The nucleus of the present Pike Library was started by the Emersonian Reading Club at the Pike Seminary in 1879. Around 1900 the Seminary turned over its property to the local school district and the library had to find a new home.

The present library was formerly a carriage shop erected in the 1840’s. In 1905 the owner donated it to the Emersonian Reading Club. In May 1908 the Pike Library obtained its provisional charter from the state. The library operated in this status until 1952 when it received its absolute charter. Lydia Lapham was the first librarian, and she was succeeded by Alice Pownell, Mable Cummings, Lewis Cook, Helen Dunham, Jane Davis, Hazel Drake, Barbara Boise, Pat Mayer, Doris Flint, and the current director, Tammy Hopkins.

The library is a member of the OWWL Library System. The OWWL Library System is a New York State chartered, cooperative public library system serving the forty-two public libraries in Ontario, Wayne and Wyoming and Livingston (OWWL) counties.